Litigation Legal Assistant (2)
Posted by Clinton Lewis in on February 23, 2019
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Supports litigation and regulatory attorneys delivering high-quality services to internal and external clients and performs a variety of administrative support duties. The position requires advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, local, state and federal court processes and procedures, e-filing, practice support, and other law office software. The responsibilities include managing multiple projects while maintaining effective and courteous communication with clients, attorneys, staff and peers. Must possess both strong organizational skills and strong billing/accounting skills.
1. Process New Client Requests in InTapp.
2. Review attorney’s time entries in Intapp for format, language and accuracy. Finalize it for processing by the Accounting department. If requested, enter attorneys’ time into Intapp, using handwritten notes, a Word document, a spreadsheet or other resource. Remind attorneys of time entry deadlines and coordinate the timely submission and finalization of their entries.
3. Print pro-forma client bills. Review, edit, and correct bills in draft form as generated by the billing system (Elite). Coordinate with other legal administrative assistants on bills managed by other attorneys.
4. Reconcile monthly Visa bill for assigned attorneys. Process expense reports and obtain Firm checks or petty cash as required.
5. Make travel arrangements Create and distribute itineraries.
6. Open and promptly distribute incoming mail. (Do not open mail marked “confidential” unless instructed to do so by the recipient.) Date stamp if requested. Check in-box and out-box periodically throughout the day and process materials appropriately.
7. Coordinate meetings, appointments and conferences. Schedule conference rooms, and prepare necessary materials. Maintain calendar for attorney(s). Remind attorney of responsibilities in advance of commitments.
8. Maintain tickler system to follow up on requests made by attorneys and clients.
9. Docket case and motion schedules per local, state and federal rules.
10. Filing, preparing, and serving legal documents according to current local, state, federal and appellate court rules.
11. Arrange for the appropriate delivery of documents via email, fax, regular mail, overnight delivery or messenger service.
12. Perform and/or outsource photocopy, bindery, scanning, and printing tasks as needed.
13. Set up and maintain client, work, chronological, pleading and personal files, including electronic files in FileSite. Coordinate transfer of inactive or closed files to records coordinator or to offsite storage facilities. Maintain index of all files in the Firm’s standard format, stored in the document management system.
14. Maintain attorney contacts in the InterAction client relationship management system, including entering new contacts. Identify and update outdated contact information and merge duplicate contacts. Input notes and activities as appropriate for each contact (e.g., meetings, events, marketing activities). Add and remove attorney contacts to Firm distribution lists. Assist lawyers with basic questions about InterAction, including InterAction for Microsoft Outlook (IMO).
15. Maintain awareness of all tasks and deadlines related to projects farmed out to other support staff.
1. Process and format Word and Excel documents, using prescribed Firm formats. Includes comparisons, conversions, merges, creation of tables of contents/authorities, etc
2. Perform processes associated with court services including filing, requesting transcripts and litigation searching.
3. Assist lawyers with PowerPoint presentations, including basic graphic enhancements (e.g., SmartArt, graphs/charts, inserting images from Firm pre-licensed image library).
4. Proofread all documents (both draft and final) to ensure accuracy of copy, grammar, punctuation and syntax as well as conformance to Firm formats.
5. Organize final documents and coordinate preparation of bound volumes or PDF files with indices, ensuring all documents have been properly executed.
6. Ensure all documents are properly saved to appropriate workspaces within the document management system.
7. Verify tasks are completed, check for accuracy and ensure that the appropriate metadata cleansing has been applied.
8. Prepare correspondence for attorney review.
1. Participate as a contributory member of the LAA team, providing overflow services and proactively supporting fellow team members and their attorneys as needed.
2. Be available to work overtime in the morning, evening or weekends as requested. Coordinate time off with other team members.
3. Maintain harmonious working relationships with all individuals within the Firm.
4. Be accountable for ensuring responsibilities are satisfied, for producing quality products and for providing outstanding client service.
5. Maintain advanced knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Elite (accounting), InterAction (contacts), and other programs needed to accomplish job objectives.
6. Other duties as assigned.