Posted by Clinton Lewis in on June 13, 2018
The Secretarial Supervisor is responsible for supervising daily workflow and secretarial support for assigned floors and ensuring the timely and cost-effective completion of legal secretarial work and firm administrative work. The Supervisor supports the firm’s goal of providing excellent client service by building and maintaining strong working relationships with attorneys, secretaries and other administrative departments. Assists with proactively supporting client service by actively participating in the firm’s Service Excellence initiative. Ensures that secretarial staff members are providing quality service to internal members/departments of the firm as well as external clients and vendors by displaying professionalism via electronic and print correspondence, over the telephone and in-person and by encouraging an atmosphere that rewards a “can do” attitude.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
- Supervises and monitors secretarial work flow to ensure timely completion of all client work; delegates and reassigns work as necessary to balance workloads and minimize overtime and related client/firm expenses.
- Communicates continually with attorneys/paralegals and secretaries to ensure that required support is available and satisfactory.
- Escalates and works with Secretarial Manager to resolve broad workload balancing concerns and employee relations matters.
- Approves PTO and timesheets for secretaries on assigned floors; resolves issues related to time off and ensures the accurate recording of hours worked.
- Assists Secretarial Managers in the development of training programs for new and existing secretarial staff; participates in the development/delivery of orientation for new attorneys/paralegals to communicate information which fosters effective support and working relationships.
- Coordinates the performance evaluation process by soliciting feedback from attorneys and paralegals; writes and delivers annual performance evaluations to assigned secretarial staff based on solicited feedback and first-hand observations; communicates performance and salary adjustment information; establishes prospective performance objectives for individual secretaries (or teams of secretaries) based on performance reviews; meets with secretaries to provide regular feedback concerning performance and/or areas of performance requiring additional training or improvement.
- Analyzes and assesses ongoing secretarial requirements and recommends staffing changes to meet the firm’s client and administrative needs.
- Participates in first level interviews for secretarial candidates.
- Keeps abreast of firm’s technology and works with the firm’s Information Services department as an advocate for computer applications and training; participates in the testing of new applications.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as necessary.
- Excellent organization, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Knowledge of word processing and other computer applications; demonstrated ability to act as a technical resources to maximize use of technology in the effective delivery of secretarial services.
- High degree of sensitivity with ability to maintain confidentiality.
- BA/BS Preferred
- 2 years’ supervisory experience in a legal or professional services organization preferred.